By John M. Lawrence
• A synthesis of what's recognized in regards to the uncomplicated organic features of the ocean urchin, valuable for the course of destiny examine.
• Case histories of 17 species that illustrate their ecological function in quite a few environments.
• With the catastrophic decline in fisheries ensuing essentially from over-fishing, it's crucial that the populations be controlled successfully and that aquaculture be built. This publication offers wisdom of the biology and ecology of the commercially very important sea urchins that might give a contribution to those pursuits.
• the one publication to be had in current literature dedicated to sea urchins.
With this new name specialists supply a large artificial therapy and extensive research of the biology and ecology of sea urchins from all over the world, designed to supply an figuring out of the gang and the root for fisheries administration and aquaculture.
Read Online or Download Edible Sea Urchins: Biology and Ecology (Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science) PDF
Best marine biology books
The time period "zooplankton" describes the neighborhood of floating, usually microscopic, animals that inhabit aquatic environments. Being close to the bottom of the foodstuff chain, they function meals for greater animals, reminiscent of fish. The ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the ocean) Zooplankton technique handbook presents finished insurance of recent innovations in zooplankton ecology written by means of a bunch of overseas specialists.
Comprising by way of a ways the most important and such a lot different staff of vertebrates, fishes occupy a large swathe of habitats starting from the inner most ocean abyss to the top mountain lakes. Such very good ecological range and the ensuing style in way of life, anatomy, body structure and behaviour, make unraveling the evolutionary historical past of fishes a frightening activity.
Of all vertebrates, fish convey exceptional variety of sexual plasticity and suppleness, starting from gonochorism to unisexualism, and unheard of styles of useful hermaphroditism. Fish farming and monosex aquaculture have resulted in reproductive disorder with men generating much less milt, and ladies failing to ovulate and spawn.
The tropical estuarine platforms of Mexico and relevant the US are a huge a part of the region´s coastlines; for instance Mexico on my own possesses greater than 770 thousand hectares of mangroves, in addition to the biggest estuarine mangrove complicated at the American Pacific (Marismas Nacionales), but is likely one of the poorest studied components on the planet.
- Silica Stories
- From Limnology to Fisheries: Lake Tanganyika and Other Large Lakes (Developments in Hydrobiology)
- Biological Materials of Marine Origin: Vertebrates (Biologically-Inspired Systems)
- Sex Determination in Fish
Additional resources for Edible Sea Urchins: Biology and Ecology (Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science)
Edible Sea Urchins: Biology and Ecology (Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science) by John M. Lawrence