By Anthony P. Farrell
Fish shape a really varied team of vertebrates. At a conservative estimate a minimum of forty% of the world's vertebrates are fish. at the one hand they're united by way of their diversifications to an aquatic setting and at the different they convey various variations to differing environmental stipulations - frequently to extremes of temperature, salinity, oxygen point and water chemistry. They express an array of behavioural and reproductive platforms. attention-grabbing of their personal correct, this suite of adaptive physiologies presents many version platforms for either comparative vertebrate and human physiologists.
This 4 quantity encyclopedia covers the variety of fish body structure in over three hundred articles and offers access point details for college students and precis overviews for researchers alike.
Broadly organised into 4 issues, articles conceal useful, Thematic, and Phylogenetic body structure, and Fish Genomics
Functional articles deal with the normal elements of fish body structure which are universal to all parts of vertebrate body structure together with: replica, breathing, Neural (Sensory, significant, Effector), Endocrinology, Renal, Cardiovascular, Acid-base stability, Osmoregulation, Ionoregulation, Digestion, Metabolism, Locomotion, and so on.
Thematic body structure articles are conscientiously chosen and less in quantity. they supply a degree of integration that is going past the insurance within the sensible body structure themes and contain discussions of Toxicology, Air-breathing, Migrations, Temperature, Endothermy, etc.
Phylogenetic body structure articles collect info that bridges the body structure of yes groupings of fishes the place the data base has a adequate intensity and breadth and contain articles on historical Fishes, Tunas, Sharks, etc.
Genomics articles describe the underlying genetic part of fish body structure and excessive gentle their suitability and use as version organisms for the learn of affliction, tension and physiological variations and reactions to exterior conditions.
- Winner of a 2011 PROSE Award Honorable Mention for Multivolume technology Reference from the organization of yankee Publishers
- The definitive encyclopedia for the sphere of fish physiology
- Three volumes which comprehensively hide the full box in over three hundred entries written by way of experts
- Detailed assurance of simple useful body structure of fishes, physiological issues in fish biology and comparative body structure among taxonomic Groups
- Describes the genomic bases of fish body structure and biology and using fish as version organisms in human physiological research
- Includes a word list of terms